Google
 

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Charity Sweatshop #1 Has Been Completed

I conned my daughter Jenny and my friend, Sona into coming over for pizza and put them to work in my charity sweatshop. I've referred to them previously as my neophyte crafters, neither knows how to sew, crochet, knit etc. so I decided to start with a simple project. We made hug pillows for the labor and delivery department of Cooper Hospital in Camden, NJ. These are small pillows for those having a C-section to hold over their stitches when they cough.

I had pulled out a bunch of fabric to work on (it hardly made a dent in my mess... I mean stash) and set the girls to work. I had Jenny ironing the fabric and after a quick lesson with the rotary cutter, I had Sona cutting them out. I manned the sewing machine and we got almost 75 of them done. We don't stuff them here, they do that in NJ, but with the 75 or so more we have the fabric for and the 50 I already had done I should have about 200 to send them. This is an ongoing need since they use around 60 every month.

The best news is I have 3 more slaves (I mean volunteers) for the next session!! Next time I'm hoping to get some girls skirts done for Kenya,

1 comment:

Doris Sturm said...

You are such an opportunistic mom ;-) but it gets the job done and that's all it counts. Besides, I'm sure they girls learned somthing from you by helping. Wow, what an accomplishment: 200 !!!

You are very kind and generous for helping.